hope for the best, prepare for the worst. always return to your heart, it's home. let it snow! :)
Is it just me, or has anyone else realized there’s been a sudden interest in exposing “Disney’s anti-feminism” ever since Brave? Yeah, Merida is a strong female character, but what people are missing is, so are all the other Disney princesses. Hell, so are all the other Disney females. I’m so sick and tired of everyone thinking that to be a “”“”feminist”“”“, girls have to be like Mulan. Because no, that’s not what feminism is about.
Mulan kicks ass and is basically the icon of “girl power”. But you can be a feminist without being strong or bold. You can be a feminist without wielding a sword and beating up a bunch of guys. Feminism isn’t about telling little girls to get out of the kitchen and to shoot guns. But feminism isn’t about telling girls they can’t shoot guns either.
Some girls like to cook, some girls want to get married on their own will, and some girls don’t want to do either. Snow White should be able to bake a pie without “sending the wrong message to little girls”. Aurora should be able to like Prince Phillip without being called “weak”. Ariel should be able to want legs without being criticized for “disempowering herself”.
It is anti-feminism to try to fit these girls into a Mulan mold, believe it or not. Because instead of fitting them into the stereotypical gender role of cooking and cleaning, people are putting them into a different role, a role that expects females to be dedicated activists who call out male bullshit 24/7 and tackle traditionally male-oriented occupations.
People need to understand that girls shouldn’t have any designated “role”. People need to stop having certain expectations for females. Girls (and boys) should be able to aspire to be anything they want without criticism, whether it be in the kitchen, in a cubicle, in the Oval Office, or in the military. Because that’s what feminism is all about. That’s gender equality.
I can’t even read these damn things anymore because these people are so frustratingly hypocritical. It’s pretty ironic that Mulan is the beacon of feminism when she dresses up like a man and does typically masculine things. They don’t even realize how empowered each of the Disney girls are.
- Snow White: first working princess. Dictated her work on her own terms in exchange for room and board. Dusted herself off fairly quickly after running terrified through a forest after an attempted murder, and because her stepmother wanted her dead.
- Cinderella: maintains a healthy degree of sass even though she accepts her situation meekly. She’s still able to remain optimistic despite the overwhelming odds and understands that even though she’s an orphan, she still deserves equal treatment, which is why she was so excited about going to the ball in the first place.
- Aurora: respects her parents’ wishes and returns home, sacrificing her own pleasure to perform a duty to her kingdom and finds that she’s rewarded because her peasant boy is the prince she was betrothed to.
- Ariel: yearns to be part of something new, tries to break free from her irrationally overprotective father. It’s okay for the bulk of Aladdin’s narrative to rest on falling in love with the girl of his dreams, but Ariel cannot.
- Belle: wants adventure, wants to find SOMEONE who understands her, if romance is on her agenda, it’s with someone who isn’t a complete sexist brute like Gaston, even if he is the town hunk. She refuses to put up with Beast’s behavior, learns to see the good in him etc.
- Jasmine: doesn’t want to remain a princess if it means not making her own choices. “I am not a prize to be won!” She is well aware of her autonomy and is fierce in protecting it.
- Pocahontas: wants to be free to follow her own path, has to make the hard choice of speaking out against the majority in order to save another. Ends up choosing her community over romance.
- Mulan: CLEARLY WONDERFUL AND PERFECT BECAUSE SHE GOES TO WAR AND ISN’T ONE OF THOSE GROSS GIRLY GIRLS.
- Tiana: wants to make her father’s dream a reality. She inherits his love of cooking and sharing with others. “Good food brings people together.” This is what she works for. Although she spends half the film as a frog, she does achieve the same elevated status as the white and other poc girls because she was able to own a business without being totally restricted by her race or gender.
- Rapunzel: enlists the help of someone to leave her prison, lives life as she was meant to, falls in love along the way.
This idea that a “weak” female character or a character who cries and doesn’t want to be “tough” is not as feminist as someone like Mulan or Merida is incredibly sexist, and I’m sick of these so called feminists thinking they’re doing anyone a favor with these kinds of articles.
- freesoul88 likes this
- hopeandillusions likes this
- ehlysrandomlikes reblogged this from flitwickslittlebrotha
- dreameverynight reblogged this from mickeyandminnie
- idriveablackimpala reblogged this from lovenotforgotten
- witheringstars reblogged this from lovenotforgotten
- feelsliketheway reblogged this from lovenotforgotten and added:
- seeking-nirvana reblogged this from lovenotforgotten
- juju-magic reblogged this from lovenotforgotten
- mistasheffield reblogged this from lovenotforgotten
- lovenotforgotten reblogged this from everlanded
- lovenotforgotten likes this
- komekoro likes this
- a-christmas-cruella likes this
- manicpixiedreamcat reblogged this from finnickodimples
- finnickodimples reblogged this from saunterdown
- chiyo-chan reblogged this from estlee
- estlee reblogged this from namiisstarstuff
- namiisstarstuff reblogged this from aestivate
- namiisstarstuff likes this
- discordicus likes this
- xxnuzza reblogged this from captainamelia
- always-robin reblogged this from ally-on-high
- always-robin likes this
- futuredisneyprincessinthemaking likes this
- duck-fart reblogged this from bio-bliss
- technosoldiers likes this
- lizhasthoughts reblogged this from donedirt
- lizhasthoughts likes this
- donde-esta-el-gato reblogged this from donedirt
- peenkflowa likes this
- donedirt reblogged this from jeffmangyum
- bio-bliss reblogged this from jeffmangyum
- johnwilkesjuiceandtheboothboxes reblogged this from jeffmangyum
- jeffmangyum reblogged this from theformerdoctorsnark
- yodelinginthehail reblogged this from timetoputonashow
- aliyamamdeen reblogged this from vfarally
- aliyamamdeen likes this
- nanoklik reblogged this from electricalice
- jordynneedsham likes this
- jordynneedsham reblogged this from yazzydream
- brisby-pops reblogged this from yazzydream
- extraordimarygirl reblogged this from growingupisforsuckers and added:
- thedamn1dthi3f reblogged this from yazzydream
- dalfour reblogged this from yazzydream
- yazzydream reblogged this from mickeyandminnie
- cityonfiretonight likes this
- arrogantmistletoerag reblogged this from hellodracomalfoy
- nawsome likes this